Monday 30 May 2011

Why did I buy that? Caprol Micro Express

Caprol Micro Express (INCI PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides (and) Polyglycerol-6 Dioleate (and) Glyceryl Caprylate/Caprate) is a non-ionic solubilizer that can create emulsions when you want to add something oily to something watery (so it's a bit like using polysorbate 20, polysorbate 80, or Cromollient SCE). It's water soluble, and it can be used at 10% to 15% in our products. It's reported to be less sticky than those other solublizers - which I can confirm as I've used it as a water soluble ingredient in toners and cooling sprays because it wasn't sticky - and it tends to create clear systems rather than cloudy ones.

As a note, the Herbarie carries a product called AquaEm that is very similar to CME with an INCI of PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides (and) Polyglyceryl 6 Dioleate. As far as I can tell, you'd use it the same way you'd use CME. 

How is Caprol Micro Express different than these other solubilizers? There are three main ways...
1. CME feels less sticky than the other ingredients (at least to me).
2. I wouldn't use CME in something like a bath oil, but I would use Cromollient SCE and the polysorbates for that purpose.
3. It is supposed to create clear systems, whereas polysorbate 20 and polysorbate 80 can create cloudy systems.

One of the main ways to use CME is as a solubilizer and emulsifier for body and room sprays, specifically for getting the fragrance or essential oil to emulsify into the water in these products. Here's an example from Lotioncrafter for a room and linen spray using CME as the emulsifier for the fragrance oil. As Jenny points out, you'll want to use 1 part CME to 9 parts water with 1% fragrance oil. If you want to go to 3%, use 15% CME and reduce the water accordingly. Southern Soapers has some great PDFs on the topic of using CME as an emulsifier. Check out their PDFs Making Room & Body Sprays with CME and Room & Body Sprays

I like to use CME as a water soluble emollient in things like my toners - click here to see an example of a toner I created using CME as a water soluble ester - and emulsifiers for small amounts of oils in those products. (Here's an example of a gelled toner I made using CME as an emollient for my oily skin.) You can use it anywhere you would use something like PEG-7 olivate or other water soluble emollients! Here's where I've used it in a conditioner, and here's some information (scroll down) on how I might use it in a body wash. Click here to see how I used it in a facial product suitable for dry skin.

Join me tomorrow for more ideas on how to use CME in various products!

0 comments:

Post a Comment