Wednesday 2 November 2011

Experiments in the workshop: Behenyl alcohol in an intense conditioner with butters

I thought I'd try using behenyl alcohol in an intense conditioner with butters and oils. It makes sense, because people who have hair so dry or so brittle that they need to use butters in a conditioner, could probably benefit from the added slip and conditioning of this fatty alcohol.

I chose this recipe (found here)...

INTENSE CONDITIONER WITH BUTTERS AND BEHENYL ALCOHOL
HEATED WATER PHASE
53.5% water
10% aloe vera or hydrosol of choice
2% humectant
2% hydrolyzed protein

HEATED OIL PHASE
7% Incroquat BTMS
3% Incroquat CR (detangling, softening)
10% butter of choice
3% behenyl alcohol (synergistic effect with the cationic quats)

COOL DOWN PHASE
2% dimethicone
2% cyclomethicone
2% panthenol
2% cetrimonium chloride
1% fragrance or essential oil
0.5% to 1% preservative

Follow basic conditioner making instructions for this recipe.

I haven't tried this recipe and I'm waiting for my mom's opinion, so I can't say much about it for my hair. (If I used this on my oily hair, it wouldn't be good!) I like to make this recipe with coconut oil, and I didn't see a difference in viscosity, although it feels nice on my skin (I could use this as a lotion very easily, although I'd leave out the cetrimonium chloride and Incroquat CR as we don't need to waste products, eh?)

Join me tomorrow for using behenyl alcohol in a sugar scrub!

0 comments:

Post a Comment