Monday 10 October 2011

If you want to dispute something I've written...

...All facts begin as dreams dreamt by a wizard! 
Mr. Show, "The Limits of Science"

If you have information that contradicts something I've written or think I'm wrong, please be nice about it. A big part of why people won't admit they're wrong is the fear of attack, the fear of looking stupid, the fear of losing esteem, and why put someone on the defensive when there's no need? Why do we have to attack someone personally, calling someone names, insulting their intelligence, education or character? I encourage you to share your thoughts in a friendly, supportive way! After all, this blog is all about learning and sharing what we've learned, and the last thing I want to do is share something that leads you down the wrong path!

You can see some great examples of readers sharing information that contradicts what I've written in this post. Observe the way these wonderful readers correct me - in a very supportive, mature way. And notice that I've updated what I've written to include their suggestions. This is a great example of how to approach someone when you want to share contradictory information (otherwise known as telling them they're wrong!) 

If you find a something that bothers you, write to me or make a comment. Just remember that although I'm always open to new ideas, new studies, new concepts, and new stuff in general, I do need to see some evidence. If it's your opinion, tell me that. (Your opinion on recipes I've written, ingredients you've used, practices you want to share, things you like to see, or anything else is absolutely vital!) If you heard it from a supplier or someone in the know, share it with me. I always prefer to see some evidence when it comes to ingredients, processes, or concepts, so send me a link or the proper book or paper title, rather than asking me to look it up again.

If you're sending me information, please note that I require a reputable source. EWG and Skin Deep are not reputable sources. If what they are saying is true, there will be another study out there to support what they say. If what they're saying is skewed in some way, we'll find it hard to find another source that doesn't refer back to them. (Here's a post in which I address my thoughts on these sources.) I recognize this must sound harsh, but I think I have good reason to ask for another source. 

Here are some of my thoughts on how to research ingredients and ideas, including my favourite textbooks and websites! 

You don't have to agree with everything I write - in fact, I prefer it if you don't because what a boring world that would be! - but you don't have to be mean about it!

As an aside, it's always nice to see a name on a comment, rather than Anonymous. For some reason, there's something weird about seeing that. You don't need a Blogger or other account, just put your name at the end of it (for instance: Written by Susan or Bye for now, Susan!) or something else so I can get to know you! 


Join me tomorrow for a really great example of a comment that made me think, research, and re-think something really important! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment