Sunday 9 October 2011

Question: How to test temperature of your phases?


Cordy asked in this post on heating and holdingWhen heating and holding, do you take the temperature of each phase at intervals, or do you leave a thermometer in each container, or some other option? 

And Leman wrote in that same post: I always wonder whether I should be taking the temperature by not touching the tip of the thermometer to the base of the container. Thinking that the base of the container is hotter than the ingredients inside and it would not reflect a true measurement! What's the best way to measure?

I like to use a pocket thermometer (click here to see the one at Voyageur), but there are many other choices. You could go with an instant read (or relatively instant read) digital one - I bought a nice one for cooking at a cooking store for about $10 or so, but ask the proprietor if they are reliable because some can be a bit flaky - or a candy thermometer. Just make sure you have something reliable.

I like to keep the thermometer away from the bottom of the jug before I get to the 70˚C point because it could be taking the temperature of the container rather than the contents, but when I get to 70˚C, I tend to leave it in there - one in the water container, one in the oil container - and check it now and then. If you're like me - easily distracted with a tendency to start another project before the first one is finished - get a timer and set it for 20 minutes so you aren't leaving the lotion in the double boiler all day!

Do you have other suggestions for thermometers or how to test the temperature? Share your thoughts in the comments section!

0 comments:

Post a Comment