Sunday 14 August 2011

Sunday is all about the peaches!

The Presidents of the United States had it right when they sang about peaches - there are indeed million of peaches, peaches for me and Raymond and Wanda and my mom and everyone else I know! (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, click here for the video, which is a good representation of a jamming party at my house, although we do tend to experience fewer ninja attacks in this part of Canada.)

We had hoped this week would be about the pickles, but cucumber and dill supplies aren't as reliable as we had hoped and by Saturday, they were all gone! Fingers crossed for next week! Instead, we're making more peach salsa with heirloom tomatoes (unbelievably delicious! and I generally don't like tomatoes) and canning some of the freestone peaches!

Yes, I'm obsessed with canning, jamming, and pickling this year (click here or click here for other posts on the topic). We enjoyed strawberries in June, raspberries and blueberries in July, now peaches, cherries, and tomatoes in August. (To your left, you'll see our cherry walnut relish!) We have made enough for our own enjoyment, and I only hope we have enough of everything to make baskets for our friends and family at Christmas! It seems like we're eating it all now!

As an aside...don't these tomatoes look amazing? Those on the left are Okanagan tomatoes - my mom says they're very sweet - and those on the right are local heirloom tomatoes. Yes, the orange thing in the middle is a tomato and not the Great Pumpkin come early!

If all goes well today, we'll have more peach salsa, some canned peaches, and homemade tomato ketchup! Yum!

Join me tomorrow for more fun crafting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment