Monday 15 August 2011

Millions of peaches (and tomatoes) for me!

We had such a great day on Sunday with all the making of peach salsa with heirloom tomatoes and tomato ketchup with Okanagan sweet tomatoes! I had to share our results!

The ketchup recipe is from the book Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It and Other Cooking Projects from Karen Solomon. We used the Okanagan sweet tomatoes, Walla Walla sweet onions, and a whole ton of spices, like cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, and Raymond's favourite, cumin. I think we reduced it too long as we have ended up with about 2 1/4 cups instead of 3, but it tastes amazing! I'm not a fan of ketchup or mustard, but I love this! I want to try making mayonnaise next weeked so we can have a chip party (sweet potato and regular) and try dipping into various condiments!

The peach salsa (click here for pictures) is from a book called Put 'Em Up!, which is my favourite of our four preserving books! We didn't use anything spicy in our version - I'm a spice wuss, and anything stronger than mayo tastes like burning - and it is amazing stuff. If you have peaches nearby, get some and make something like this!!!

As a note, it looks like we've accidentally joined the Can-A-Rama, a week (August 14th to 20th) where people are encouraged to hold canning parties. (Click here for the blog and some great recipes!) We've been doing this all summer, although we call them jamming parties and Raymond puts together a great music mix so we can dance and sing as we create awesome things in jars!

Next week, pickles and finishing up some sewing! Later this week, I need to get into the workshop. I organized it on the weekend, so now there's some space in which I can move around! And we're introduced our craft groups to making freezer jam, refrigerator pickles, and Kool-ickles on the 25th!

As a note, I find that making things in a group is a great way to overcome your fears. You'll help each other out, make constructive comments, and push each other to try something new! It's hard to wuss out when you know five other people are counting on you! So if jamming or pickling isn't your thing, invite some friends over for a body wash or lotion or hair care party and learn together!

0 comments:

Post a Comment