Sunday 10 July 2011

My bloody big (not really) ice cream

Being lactose intolerant is hardest in the summer - ice cream - and the winter - egg nog - and those lactase tablets do nothing for me (and yes, I've tried the Ultra Lactaid with no success). So Raymond went on a quest to find an iced treat I could enjoy without the agony and embarrassment that can arise when Susan and milk meet!

Behold the beauty that is my bloody big ice cream, a tradition my father started. I like soy ice cream, but it's usually too hard for a cone, but Raymond created a strawberry yogurt treat that doesn't cause me agony. He made up a lovely strawberry sorbet last week, but it went so fast, I couldn't get pictures!

We've made a lot of iced treats this year since purchasing the ice cream maker for the Kitchenaid at Christmas time. We've found the best recipes come from this book, The Perfect Scoop, and there are lots of non-dairy recipes for my fellow lactards. We've tried the custard ice cream - awesome because my massage therapist has lots of eggs and it's less milk based for me - as well as the cheesecake ice cream, and they have all been amazing! I can't say enough about this book!

I'm actually okay with not having ice cream or cheesecake or things like that because it's a category of food I've never really enjoyed because of the digestive problems they cause, and there are so many lactose free yogurts out now so I can enjoy my probiotics like everyone else. So it's not normally a big deal, but homemade ice cream...well, that's just awesome! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment